It is not very often that I have to use security at the events that I plan, but sometimes it is necessary. There are so many security companies out there that you have to be careful that you don’t need protection from them. What do I mean??? Well, you have to be very mindful and knowledgable of the company that you hire to protect your event.
Over the past couple of years, there have been many lawsuits filed regarding problems that have occurred at events due to inadequate or incompetent security personnel. You as the client and/or planner do not want to be on the receiving end of such litigation, so I am going to share some important tips with you as to what you should do and look for when hiring security for an event.
1. Ask the company about their training and certifications its employees may have.
2. Confirm the type of events that they specialize in.
3. Ask for references from previous clients.
4. Ask the company if they have ever been sued.
5. Inquire if they do a pre-event inspection of the venue.
6. Make sure that the company understands the firearms laws of the jurisdiction the event will be held in(if applicable).
7. Confirm that the company is licensed and bonded.
After working in the entertainment industry years ago and being able to see how important security may be, I understand the importance of having a good security staff! Word to the wise, DO NOT COMPROMISE BUDGET FOR SAFETY. It is not worth the risks to your guests or you as the host/planner. I hope that these tips give you some insight into security for your next event that may need that extra protection!
Make It Memorable!